Sunday, April 6, 2008

Thinking Of Traveling To Alaska?part1


Nancy’s principal area of expertise is Alaska, British Colombia, and the Yukon Territory. Nancy is co-author of Going Places Family Getaways In The Pacific Northwest.

Good Day Nancy and thank you for accepting our invitation to be interviewed.

Norm:

Please tell our readers something about yourself, your educational background, and the books you have written and are now in the process of writing.

Nancy:

I’m a 5th generation Pacific Northwesterner. My father had a profound wanderlust and an enthusiasm for discovering new people and places that rubbed off on me. A university professor, he held jobs around the U.S. and Brazil. I lived in California, Brazil, Washington and Oregon before moving to New York at age 17 to attend Sarah Lawrence College. My upbringing allowed me to feel at home in widely different milieus and engendered deep curiosity about other lands, and I’ve had a passion for travel since childhood. Although I did cherish dreams of writing a great novel as a kid, the passion for travel writing came later.

After college, I moved to Canada and worked a few years before attending York University Law School. On graduating, I worked at public interest law firms first in Toronto, then Vancouver where I wrote and edited legal self-help materials before moving to the US to marry. At that time I made a strategic decision to abandon law and become a full-time writer.

My first venture into authoring a book was when I wrote Adopting Your Child was published in 1993.
This opened the doors for me.
I contributed the British Columbia section to the fourth edition of Going Places: Family Getaways in the Pacific Northwest, published in 2000, and went on to write Going Places: Alaska and the Yukon for Families, which comes out in April 2005. Both titles are available from Sasquatch Books.

I just completed a new Alaska travel book, Activity Guide to the Inside Passage: Whether You Have Four Hours or Four Days. Sasquatch will publish it in January 2006.